Saturday, October 4, 2008

Well. I'm moving.

Good evening to all nine of you. I sit here tonight with a mix of excitement and complete dread. I have put in my notice with the car washes, and my last day at work will be this Friday. Not that long ago, I thought for sure that two of the three of the car washes I operate would be closing and bulldozed, so I told my boss that I would probably start looking for another job, and he said he understood. Little did I know that one of the two jobs I interviewed for would turn into an actual job in such a short period of time. My new title will be "Director of Distribution" with The Scooter Store at their corporate office in beautiful New Braunfels, TX. The money's good, the corporate culture is awesome, the hours are great, etc. In other words it's all the things my current job isn't.

I start my new job on Monday the 13th, and I will be moving down there next weekend....without my family. They will have to stay home until our house sells, and God only knows how long that will be. So I'll be staying in a place called the Gruene Sunday Haus for at least the next two months...all alone. And to be honest, I've never lived alone as a type 1 diabetic, and that part bothers me a little bit. Mainly I am flipping out because I will be away from my family for an extended period of time. New Braunfels isn't THAT far from Lubbock, but it's far enough that weekend trips home won't be that easy (anyone got any airline miles they want to donate)?

And finally, the best part. The COBRA payment. A "normal" family with four relatively healthy people might be able to scrape by without insurance for the 90 day waiting period. Well, as you know, we're far from normal or healthy. But for a mere $886 a month I'll be able to keep our health coverage. Gee, is that all?

More details to come, but there you go.

9 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you this, but my COBRA payment was $1100 for two people (one of whom never used the insurance). ;)

    Good luck with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna make peanut butter cookies tomorrow night...I was saving the big guns for later in the week, but I'm starting to panic! haha.

    Oh yeah and one more thing...don't leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job! I would love to live near Austin so I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the new job, Nick!
    I can tell it is going to be hard on all of you, in the beginning, but in the long run it will be a good thing,right?! It just all happened so fast. But, everything happens for a reason. I am very excited for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the new 'adventure' Nick. I hope it all works out for you and your family. I would think the Scooter Store would be a great place to stay for a while (if you want to)!!!! The Baby Boomers are getting old and they will certainly need assistance getting around - like a Scooter from the Scooter Store. Hope your home sells and the entire family can be reunited and settle down in your new city quickly.

    Take care,

    Corey

    ReplyDelete
  6. My COBRA payment was $900. For just me. Insane.

    But congratulations on your new job, and I hope these next two months go by smoothly and quickly and will soon, soon, soon reunite you with your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so you know, there are more than 9 people reading this stuff.

    I knew there was new job stuff going on, but I didn't know it was this close (actually it's kind of like an ambush). I know this, although it's weighty in itself, relieves a good bit of stress from your life.

    What's going to happen to us (students)? Do we have to deal with someone new? Geeze...

    Well, maybe we'll hear about it tonight. Oh, and if you need any professional advice about selling your house I'm always available.

    -Aaron
    aaron.presley@coldwellbanker.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Screw Blackboard, just post our assignments and everything on blogger.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the job!!!! Do you live in TX already? New jobs are scary, but exciting! I'll send good vibes and prayers that your house sells soon so your beautiful family can come soon!

    ReplyDelete