Sunday, December 7, 2008

The "Moment of Confusion."

Doctors are taught in medical school that when they hear hooves to look for horses not zebras.

Folks, allow me to introduce you to my zebra, Emma.

We made our trip to Dallas to visit with the nephrologist about Emma's biopsy results. Keep in mind that this is one of the top pedi neprologists in the country. He sat up on the table in the exam room, and said "Well, it's very confusing."

Without getting into a lot of the details, Emma does have an auto-immune process of some kind that is attacking her kidneys. Right now we're just going to put her on ACE inhibitors in order to stop the protein from spilling out in her urine, and it will be up to the rheumatologist to decide when to start chronic steroid therapy.

The one thing I want to point out is that Amy detected all of this a year ago, and I suspect that the doctors are confused about the biopsy results because these diseases are not usually detected until they are in an advanced stage.

So what does this mean for Emma's future? I don't even want to think about it.

More later.

3 comments:

  1. Nick and Amy, I'm so sorry that you guys are going through this and want you to know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are still in my prayers.

    (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really it's moment of confusion and we are great recruit hospital executives.

    ReplyDelete