We're 7 months into the new administration, and I would like to take a few minutes to make sure everyone out there knows the facts. I know there are many of you that supported Mr. Obama for president, and I would expect that most did because "he wasn't George W. Bush." I get that, I really do. That's probably why Bush beat Al Gore to begin with, people were just tired of Bill Clinton. I know what you're thinking, "This is a diabetes blog!" All I ask is that you stay with me a bit and you'll see the connection when I get to "Obamacare."
There are many, many disturbing things this president and his allies in Congress have done, but what's scary is how much more he wants to do but isn't telling you. And no one else is telling you either. Conservatives often rail about the "liberal media," which members of the media then brush off as preposterous. I would challenge you to research this independently and find that, regarless of the source, you'll find that about 80% of national "mainstream" media journalists say they voted for Obama, and that 60% of them describe themselves as "very liberal." There is an agenda, don't pretend there isn't. Terry McCauliffe, head of the Democratic National Committee, readily admits that the liberal media helped Obama get elected. (It's on Youtube, check it out.)
The two most important pieces of legislation in recent memory are either already in the Senate or being written as we speak: Cap and Trade, and Health Care Reform. Here's what you need to know about both.
Cap and Trade is supposed to be about cleaner energy and a focus on renewable resources. Here are the facts:
1. The bill was debated for exactly 5 minutes in the House, which seems rather short for a bill that is 1400 pages long, not to mention that House Democrats added 317 pages at 3am.
2. The bill will double the cost of the average American's electric bill. DOUBLE. And that's just an Obama administration estimate. The reason for this is that the people who wrote it, ultra-liberal Democrats from the Northeast don't USE coal energy! Their homes are heated with oil! This is an energy tax folks, plain and simple.
3. An EPA official can walk into your house and inspect it for "energy efficiency." If it doesn't pass, you get a fine and have to spend thousands to upgrade your home.
4. You will not be able to sell your home until the EPA gives you approval to do so. In other words, it has to meet the EPA's standard for being "energy efficient" or you can't sell it. So now your home you wanted to sell for $150,000 will now cost $160,000 or so, depending on how much you have to spend. Inflation, anyone?
5. China and India don't have Cap and Trade, which means that what remains of American manufacturing will shut down virtually overnight and move (along with American jobs) overseas. And the cost of American products? You got it, through the roof.
6. Remember what happened to the price of food when oil went through the roof? Same exact thing. Obama wants everyone to buy an expensive energy-efficient car (despite the fact that Americans obviously don't want them). If you're banking on ethanol, forget it. It costs $1.25 to produce $1 worth of the stuff.
7. And finally, not to worry too much, because in order to get this monstrosity through the House, the Obama administration bought off moderate Democrats with billions in "exemptions" and pet projects. So some people will get something out of the deal.
Healthcare Reform: This one's actually much simpler to oppose than Cap and Trade.
1. Imagine the politician you hate the most. For some of you, it's George W. Bush, or Reagan, or Carter, etc. Now imagine that person in charge of YOUR healthcare.
2. Name one well-run government agency that always stays under budget. Just one.
3. Private insurance WILL fail if there is a government plan. If you owned a business and were spending huge sums of money on healthcare premiums, wouldn't you unload it as long as you knew there was a government "safety net" healthcare plan? You bet your bacon they will, and as employers bail, private insurers will go kaput. When that happens, the 50 million people projected to be on the plan will balloon, along with the $1.7 trillion price tag.
4. When the cost skyrockets, as it no doubt will, the call will come to contain costs. How many of us have struggled to explain why a pump or CGMS makes sense over NPH. Now imagine explaining that to a government bureaucrat that thinks you just take a pill to control diabetes. It's simple economics to a bureaucrat; the cost of a person on a pump in a year with fast-acting insulin and supplies will easily top $10k. NPH and syringes may only cost hundreds. If you didn't know anything about diabetes and your job was to contain costs, which would you pick?
Finally, I just want to reiterate how dangerous of a financial crisis this country is in. Ever heard of George Soros? He's the ultra-liberal billionaire founder of Moveon.org, and he's saying we're doomed to runaway inflation within 20 years. Warren Buffet? Heard of him? Richest man in the world and Obama voter. Let's just say he's having second thoughts. According to the polls, most Obama voters are.
By 2019, our debt to GDP ratio will have grown from 59% to 82%. That's bad. And people won't loan you more money when your debt ratio is that high. That's bad too. In other words, our debt won't be sustainable, and that's just with the stimulus money. Some 80% of the stimulus has not been spent. It's not too late folks to stop it. It's not too late to stop Cap and Trade, and it's not too late to stop government healthcare. You don't even have to admit you might have missed on this one, just don't miss in 2010.
I know we all look at California and the mess that it's in. California is what Obama wants for all of us. Many of California's major employers have fled the state because of its high taxes and liberal agenda. Where have they gone? Texas.
Liberal-run California was issuing IOU's because it's broke. And in conservative Texas, we're wondering "What recession?"